This has been one of my chief rants over the last couple of years… that the advent of the new rails and rings, which are actually pretty high quality, add so much height to the shooting position, that when you go from your iron sights to your scope you have to raise the cheekpiece 1/4″ to 3/8″. On this project I set out to make the scope at the same height as my iron sights. One of the things that I discovered is that when you order a set of rings (that they call low rings now) are the same height as an old set of Weaver rings. You think you’re getting low rings and they are actually high rings. The whole affair ends up that you have an extremely high cheekpiece when you get done. After arguing with the parts for 2 years, I decided to build a prototype for myself to see if it could be done, and still end up with a set of workable, reliable, repeatable rings that ended up the same height as the iron sights. I think this whole problem developed over having rings and bases to satisfy the tactical shooters. I appreciate the precision and the quality of rings that are being made for tactical rifles, but what you lose is the ability to shoot a prone rifle in a comfortable position. Or maybe I’m just getting to be a cranky old fart….
Custom Riflebuilding for High Power, Long Range, Smallbore and F-Class Shooters. Custom Grips for Rifles, Offset Sights and Fancy Wood and Fiberglass Rifle Stocks.
- New Smallbore Project – 52 Winchester Part #3
- New Smallbore Project – 52 Winchester Part #2
- New Smallbore Project – 52 Winchester
- Updating Palma Rifle to FTR
- Congratulations to Trudie Fay
- Congrats to Trudie Fay!
- Recent Acquisitions: Fancy Wood Stocks Blanks
- Curly Claro Walnut Stock for model B Bat Action
- African Blackwood Grip for Eliseo’s, Tube Guns, AR-15 Style Metal Stocks
- English Walnut for a Pre-64 Winchester Palma Rifle
- Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All!
- Walther KK500 Action in a High Figured Claro Walnut Stock
- Claro Walnut Stock with Crotch Fiddleback
- Older Wichita Action with Newer Stock
- FOR SALE: Warner #1 Rear Sight and a Scott Riles 22mm Front Sight
- Spirit of America Match at NRA Whittington Center in Raton, NM
- Meet Barney, Our New Dog.
- VIDEO: Duplicating a Rifle Gunstock / Wood Carver Duplicator
- Converting Stock a McMillman Stock from Anschutz 2000 to fit Voodoo Action
- Congrats to Steffen Bunde!
- Sporting Stock for Enfield P
- Congrats to Luke Ramsay for a great job at the National Championships!!
- Long Range Palma Stock made from Claro Walnut.
- Robertson F-Class Stock – Custom Paint
- American Walnut Quartersawed Pre-64 Action
- Article from Accurate Shooter
- Fiddleback American Walnut FTR Stock for a Stiller TAK 30 Action
- Claro Walnut Stock with Fiddleback for a Barnard Action
- Rosewood Grips for Eliseo / AR15’s / Tubb Rifles
- Successfully Hypnotized Lobster
- Claro Walnut Stock for Barnard Action – Long Range Palma Rifle
- FOR SALE: Size 38 10X Shooting Coat
- Rosewood Grips for an Eliseo Tube Gun or AR-15
- Claro Walnut Stock with a Barnard Action
- Mausingfield/ America Rifle an English Walnut Stock
- New Grip Design for Tube Guns and AR-15s
- American Walnut F-Class Stock with Figured English & Claro Walnut Inlay on Forend
- Left Handed American Walnut Stock for a Walthers KK 500
- Left Handed American Walnut Palma Rifle with a Barnard Action
- Congrats to Luke Ramsey for Winning the NM FTR Championship!
- F-Class Rifle for Rimrock Action
- American Walnut FTR Stock with Barnard Action final Pictures
- Announcing completion of USNRT Raffle Rifle
- American Walnut FTR Stock with Barnard Action
- Building a spinning wheel
- Thumb wheels for adjustable Cheekpiece
- Left Handed Grips for Eliseo Stocks, Tube and Tubb Guns
- Will Work For Air-Conditioning!
- Koa with Purple Heart & Maple Stock in a Swindlehurst Action
- Koa Purple Heart and Maple Stock for a High Power Swindlehurst Action