This has been one of my chief rants over the last couple of years… that the advent of the new rails and rings, which are actually pretty high quality, add so much height to the shooting position, that when you go from your iron sights to your scope you have to raise the cheekpiece 1/4″ to 3/8″. On this project I set out to make the scope at the same height as my iron sights. One of the things that I discovered is that when you order a set of rings (that they call low rings now) are the same height as an old set of Weaver rings. You think you’re getting low rings and they are actually high rings. The whole affair ends up that you have an extremely high cheekpiece when you get done. After arguing with the parts for 2 years, I decided to build a prototype for myself to see if it could be done, and still end up with a set of workable, reliable, repeatable rings that ended up the same height as the iron sights. I think this whole problem developed over having rings and bases to satisfy the tactical shooters. I appreciate the precision and the quality of rings that are being made for tactical rifles, but what you lose is the ability to shoot a prone rifle in a comfortable position. Or maybe I’m just getting to be a cranky old fart….
Custom Riflebuilding for High Power, Long Range, Smallbore and F-Class Shooters. Custom Grips for Rifles, Offset Sights and Fancy Wood and Fiberglass Rifle Stocks.
- Final Pictures: Open F Class Burl to English Walnut Barnard Action
- Final Pictures: Sako Action in English Walnut
- Open F-Class Stock with Graft Piece of Wood Barnard Action
- Sako Action in an English Walnut Stock.
- UPDATED: For Sale Page
- FINISHED: Walther KK 500 Action Bedded in an English Walnut Stock
- UPDATED: For Sale Page
- Work continues on bedding a Walther KK 500 into an English Walnut stock
- Walther KK 500 Action in an English Walnut Stock
- Palma Rifle with Stolle Big Bore Action in an English Walnut Stock
- Rejuvenating & Upcycling an International Stock with a Witchita Action
- Barry Smith
- Lots of Misc Triggers for sale
- U-25 USA Palma Team Raffle Rifle Completed
- Stock for a Winchester Model 70 with a Modified Cheekpiece
- 2 McMillan Stocks F-Class and F/TR
- Clifford Pierson #3 Rifle For Sale
- Modifying Prone fiberglass stock for adjustable cheekpiece
- Koa Turbo V2 Left Handed Rimfire Rifle
- Congrats Winners!
- Koa Turbo V2 Smallbore – Rimfire Rifle
- Duplicating 2 Left Handed Stocks for Prone or 3P
- Palma Rifle – For Sale
- A Grip.
- For Sale – Winchester Model 12 – 16 Gauge
- Offset Scope Mounts
- Stolle Panda F-Class in a McCloskey Stock
- Final: Laminate Stock for a Barnard Action
- Laminated Stock for Barnard
- Congratulations to Ron Deradourian! AGAIN!
- HV Bench Rest w/ Bat Action 30BR
- Laminate Stock for a Barnard Action
- Update: Under 25 Palma Team Raffle Rifle
- Reminder: Gunbroker Auctions
- FOR SALE: On Gunbroker.com
- Continuing: Under 25 US Palma Team Raffle Rifle
- Under 25 US Palma Team Raffle Rifle
- FINISHED: Walter KK500 being put into a Koa Stock
- Cocobolo Grip for Eliseo Tube Gun
- UPDATE: Walter KK500 being put into a Koa Stock
- Walther KK500 Action being put into Koa Stock
- FINISHED: Walnut Sling/F-TR for Barnard Action Long Range Stock
- Walnut Sling/F-TR for Barnard Action Long Range Stock
- Bloop Tube for Swindlehurst.
- Final: A Pair of Highly Figured Stocks.
- My Thoughts on Palma Shooting…..
- Finished Western Wildcat Trophy
- New American Walnut – Delivered
- Pair of Highly Figured Stocks