This has been one of my chief rants over the last couple of years… that the advent of the new rails and rings, which are actually pretty high quality, add so much height to the shooting position, that when you go from your iron sights to your scope you have to raise the cheekpiece 1/4″ to 3/8″. On this project I set out to make the scope at the same height as my iron sights. One of the things that I discovered is that when you order a set of rings (that they call low rings now) are the same height as an old set of Weaver rings. You think you’re getting low rings and they are actually high rings. The whole affair ends up that you have an extremely high cheekpiece when you get done. After arguing with the parts for 2 years, I decided to build a prototype for myself to see if it could be done, and still end up with a set of workable, reliable, repeatable rings that ended up the same height as the iron sights. I think this whole problem developed over having rings and bases to satisfy the tactical shooters. I appreciate the precision and the quality of rings that are being made for tactical rifles, but what you lose is the ability to shoot a prone rifle in a comfortable position. Or maybe I’m just getting to be a cranky old fart….
Custom Riflebuilding for High Power, Long Range, Smallbore and F-Class Shooters. Custom Grips for Rifles, Offset Sights and Fancy Wood and Fiberglass Rifle Stocks.
- Mcmillan A5 Bedding For Barnard Action FTR
- Stolle Panda Action on a Claro Walnut FTR Stock
- MORE PHOTOS: 2020 US Palma Team Raffle Rifle
- 2020 US Palma Team Raffle Rifle
- FINISHED: FTR Stock for a Sako 85/ Johnny Byer Stock Blank
- Repurposing an Ian Robertson Stock
- FTR Stock for a Sako 85 Action
- Original McMillan Stock with Tikka Action
- Final Claro walnut and Barnard Action Stock pics
- Bad Day at Black Rock
- Claro Walnut Stock for Barnard Action
- F Class Exhibition Grade Claro Walnut Stock with Stolle Panda Action
- F-Class Stock for BAT Action
- FINISHED: Walther KK500 in an English Walnut Laminate Stock with Fiddleback Accents – Lefthanded
- Walther KK500 in an English Walnut Laminate Stock with Fiddleback Accents
- FINISHED: Doan Trevor Original Palma Stock in American Walnut with Stolle Panda Action
- Doan Trevor Original Palma Stock in American Walnut with Stolle Panda Action
- Finished: Fiddleback Walnut Rimfire for Prone Stock with Stiller 2500 X Action
- Finished: Replacing a stock on a CPA Stevens 44 1/2
- In Progress: Replacing a stock on a CPA Stevens 44 1/2
- Fiddleback Walnut Rimfire for Prone Stock with Stiller 2500 X Action
- Finished: Companion F-Class Stock for Golden Bear (Matches a previous stock)
- Companion F-Class Stock for Golden Bear (Matches a previous stock)
- Reworking a CZ 457 Match Target Rifle Stock into a F-Class/ARA Stock
- Finished Pictures of “Updating an older McMillan F-Class Stock”
- Updating an older F-Class McMillian Stock
- Final: Claro Walnut with Barnard Action
- Claro Walnut Stock with a Barnard Action with Bedding Block
- Trudie Fay Wins Another National Fullbore Championship!
- We Will Never Forget
- A Different Kind of Woodworking….
- Pistol Grip for an AR-15 Chassis
- Koa Stock for a Defiance Action
- Final: Duplicated Fiddleback Maple & Walnut Stock for Stolle Panda Big Bore Action
- Duplicated Fiddleback Maple & Walnut Stock for Stolle Panda Big Bore Action
- Prone Stock Long Range for Savage Action Final Pics
- Prone Stock Long Range for Savage Action
- Pillar Bedding for a Savage Palma Rifle
- Finished: English Walnut Stock for a Barnard Action
- English Walnut Stock for a Barnard Action
- Stuff For Sale
- Wood Grip
- Happy Birthday, Doan!
- Finished work on F-Open Claro Walnut Stock for Golden Bear Stolle Panda Action
- More stuff for sale!
- LINK FIXED. Items for Sale.
- Continuing work on a F-Open Claro Walnut Stock for Golden Bear Stolle Panda Action
- Finished Claro Walnut for 40x Smallbore
- Beginning of a F-Open Claro Walnut Stock for Gold Bear Stolle Panda Action