This action has been really fun to work on. I think I’ve done 5 of these KK500 retrofits. Seeings how this action is meant to go in a metal stock, there’s quite a few modifications and measurements needed to make the conversion for a wood stock. This includes making a bedding block from aluminum and Delrin.
If I were starting over in the Smallbore world, I’d get this action… instead of my old model 37 with a Wright Allen trigger.
This is a Left-handed American Walnut stock with a Barnard Action.
This rifle is for a Palma shooter. He cut his own trees down, made some blanks for me. I made him a stock.
This has a bedding block with an integral recoil lug. Three action screws could be used.
Luke brought me this rifle.
It had a minor problem, I repaired it and got it ready for him.
Raffle tickets will be available soon
. At this time the rifle is on the way to the spirit of America match. It will be at the Spirit of America Match delivered by Oliver Milanovic. Pictures to follow in a couple of days
Theses grips will work for all metal guns.
Anything that takes an AR grip.
All custom fit. Craved to fit shooter’s hand.
These to grip… one is English Walnut the other is Clark Walnut.
National FTR Champion trades Rifle work for air-conditioning labor.
Thanks, Luke for climbing up into the attic!
It’s cool in the garage now!
Here are the Final Pictures for this project.
This is a Swindlehurst action that had a PPC boltface. I wish I knew more of the history of this piece. Anyone have any thoughts?
Had to open up the bolt face to fit a .308 case. Also, change the angle on the extractor to fit over the case. Came up with a firing pin spring. Also made a scope rail and a recoil system that is integrated into the bedding and the middle screw.
Final pictures to follow.
Here’s the latest to come out of the shop.
Here is an update on the progress I’m making.
Will update about ticket soon.
My helper and advisor is, Yuma. She is a friend’s dog. She is pretty dang smart!
ANNOUNCING this year’s Raffle Rifle for The US Palma Team!!
This rifle will comes as a .223 and a .308 by switchI got barrels and bolts. The stock will also be able to be shot as FTR. A Magnum bolt will be included, thanks to Kelby (Stolle Big Bore). Thanks to Randy Gregory for the barrel work.
A bolt on Open F-Class forend will also be included.
More information will be available soon as the build continues.
Ticket information will also be released soon.
Here are some pictures of the finished rifle.
The pistol grip cap is a piece of Screw Bean Mesquite Wood from my old front yard in Albuquerque. (I live in Rio Rancho, now.)
Take a look at the picture with the blue background, the rifle doesn’t have any stippling, yet. Sometimes, you have stippling as the last step. There’s no room for error when this order of events is necessary.
This is a really nice example of Ian’s work. It was previously bedded for a model 70, I’m rebuilding it for a Barnard action. I filled the holes of the old action screws and bolt handle. Also, I inletted for the Barnard with a bedding block to protect the finish. I noticed a large pile of masking tape when i finished…..
Matching the color was a challenge. Some of the dyes and pigments I use, I used doing custom paint jobs on motorcycles back in Central New York.
This is a Johnny Byer’s stock blank. It’s a curly light maple with a walnut center. Duplicated it for an FTR rifle. Also, at the same time doing the US Palma Raffle Rifle (that’s the walnut blank).
I’ve been wearing N95 masks before it was cool.
This is an early McMillan Stock note the brown color. It was not inletted. I inletted it for the Tikka Action. I modified it for a thumb screw adjustable cheek piece and an adjustable 3-way buttplate. Also, did a bedding job on it. On the older McMillan stocks, like this one, they’ve been kicking around for awhile. They get kicks and bruises. When I work on one of these, I use Bondo and glazing putty to bring it back to life. After this step I put a coat of primer on it… so it wont look like a Spotted Adder.
Just when thing started to go better…. the lead screw nut locked up. Fortunately, Shiraz and his folks at Grizzly.com were able to cross reference the right part.
I would like to thank all of you for your patience during me moving and getting over Shingles and the Flu.
This is a nicely figured piece of Claro Walnut with fiddleback.
Here’s the latest rife I have completed.
In housekeeping notes and I am in the process of moving my shop. Things will be slowed down for a couple of weeks. The new shop has better lighting….. you can probably see if from the top of Sandia Peak. 🙂