I received the action by itself, with several missing parts. It appeared that it had never had a stock or a forend on the action, so I had to create the hardware to hold the forend and the stock. The stock had to be carved by hand because some of the angle of the drawscrew was at a strange angle, making the job difficult to put a hole in the stock. The first stock I made ended up having a void in the center of the stock when I got it shaped, and I ended up making a second stock. Then it was a matter of fitting the forend and the second stock. I tried to keep the piece period by using a pre 64 Winchester buttplate that I salvaged. The buttplate was a mess and required a lot of restoration – Bakers Express Bluing.
Fitting the forend to the receiver This is the first stock where I found the void. Too bad, it was a beautiful piece of wood. The photo was enlarged to make a pattern for carving. Start of the second stock.