A number of years ago I made some fiberglass and polyester resin stocks with balsa wood cores. They finished out at approximately 11 to 12 ounces. Because the stocks were so light, you could still use the inch and a quarter barrel and make the light weight requirement; but needless to say they changed the rules. The workmanship on this carbon fiber stock and the shape of the stock is outstanding, but there are some limitations with the interior. The balsa wood is fine. The stock has a red Cedar core, which can be sensitive when you glue a pillar into it with very little surface area. The reason is because red Cedar has its own natural oils, which is why they make red cedar shingles to repel water and bugs, and last for years.. If a piece of instrument grade spruce was used for this, similar to the spruce that I use in my FT/r stocks, this might be a better solution. Spruce lends itself to almost every type of glue available and is more rigid. Countless number of airplanes have been built from Spruce including the Spruce Goose. The following pictures depict what I did to solve some of the problems. I removed the red Cedar and replaced it with a pillarized bedding block. I added an adjustable buttplate that is adjustable for up-and-down and cast on cast off. The rifle still makes FT/R weight with an F / Open size barrel.
Custom Riflebuilding for High Power, Long Range, Smallbore and F-Class Shooters. Custom Grips for Rifles, Offset Sights and Fancy Wood and Fiberglass Rifle Stocks.
- Trudie Fay Wins Another National Fullbore Championship!
- We Will Never Forget
- A Different Kind of Woodworking….
- Pistol Grip for an AR-15 Chassis
- Koa Stock for a Defiance Action
- Final: Duplicated Fiddleback Maple & Walnut Stock for Stolle Panda Big Bore Action
- Duplicated Fiddleback Maple & Walnut Stock for Stolle Panda Big Bore Action
- Prone Stock Long Range for Savage Action Final Pics
- Prone Stock Long Range for Savage Action
- Pillar Bedding for a Savage Palma Rifle
- Finished: English Walnut Stock for a Barnard Action
- English Walnut Stock for a Barnard Action
- Stuff For Sale
- Wood Grip
- Happy Birthday, Doan!
- Finished work on F-Open Claro Walnut Stock for Golden Bear Stolle Panda Action
- More stuff for sale!
- LINK FIXED. Items for Sale.
- Continuing work on a F-Open Claro Walnut Stock for Golden Bear Stolle Panda Action
- Finished Claro Walnut for 40x Smallbore
- Beginning of a F-Open Claro Walnut Stock for Gold Bear Stolle Panda Action
- Remington 40x Claro Walnut Prone Stock for Smallbore
- Fiddlebacked Claro Walnut Stock for a Barnard Action
- Breathing New Life into Old Wood
- Final Pictures of F-Class BAT Action and Stock
- Anschutz Cheek Adjuster
- Work Continues onF-Class MB BAT Action
- F-Class for BAT Action
- Sometimes you have to do something different…..
- Nicely Figured Walnut for Barnard Action
- Walther KK500 Forend
- FTR Stock with Barnard Action Rosewood Pistol Grip Cap
- Updating a K. Kenyon Trigger for a 52 Winchester
- Palma rifle with Stolle Panda action with highly figured walnut stock
- Repaired Swindlehurst smallbore rifle stock
- Target Rifle Stock for K31 Straight Pull
- Claro Walnut Sunburst Pattern Rifle Stock Final Pics
- Inletting F Open Class Rifle Stock
- Claro Walnut with Sunburst Pattern
- Final Pictures: Open F Class Burl to English Walnut Barnard Action
- Final Pictures: Sako Action in English Walnut
- Open F-Class Stock with Graft Piece of Wood Barnard Action
- Sako Action in an English Walnut Stock.
- UPDATED: For Sale Page
- FINISHED: Walther KK 500 Action Bedded in an English Walnut Stock
- UPDATED: For Sale Page
- Work continues on bedding a Walther KK 500 into an English Walnut stock
- Walther KK 500 Action in an English Walnut Stock
- Palma Rifle with Stolle Big Bore Action in an English Walnut Stock